This is a large piece of wool batting with native cherry in the water to produce a lovely citrus lemon colour.
The grey colour in the pot below is the result of a very rusty pot bottom.
These were some of the fabrics dyed this way, many unexpected surprises, like the colour in this piece of silk.
These wool threads above were actually the wrapping threads around her bundles. And the weave in this wool scarf below looked perfectly even before the dyeing process, and only showed up after with the darker warp.
The orange blobbly bits were slices of fresh avocado stones.
A few pieces of watercolour paper were given the egg treatment and then placed vertically in the pots for a short while, to get some interesting effects.
On Sunday after we had unwrapped Saturday’s bundles with lots of oohs and aahs, we got a bit more adventurous.
And making designs on garments.
I used fine tissue silk to wrap some of my bundles in, so that I didn’t get the “string lines” on them. They have dyed beautifully as well.
I tried out a piece of wool batting with a view to it becoming a book cover. The real colour is a limey green, not as brown as the photo shows. The fan shape is a sprig from the oyster bay pine growing near the studio, very subtle colour change on it, but hopefully the impressions will stay.
I hope I see the results of Sunday’s boilings at next week’s Stitchcing and Beyond meeting.
It was a great weekend, despite the cold and the rain. Trace was a good tutor and very generous with her ideas. we were lucky to have her for a workshop before she leaves Tasmania to return to West Australia to live, and we wish her all the best.