Last week, I sent out invitations to some of the quilting groups I belong to, to help make quilts for families who had lost their homes in the bushfires. The plan was to work in my studio on the days I was there.
Tuesday, about 10 ladies came and went during the course of the day, bringing fabrics to donate, and taking home a bundle with enough to make a particular quilt.
This is the table of donated fabric after the ladies had left – there’s still quite a few quilts in these piles
Already I have a couple of tops returned to me, and one group has promised to come back tomorrow with whatever they have made.
I am making one for a young girl. I started with these fabrics
Pieced contrast strips to squares
Ready for the iron
Layout without any sashing
Because the blocks are small, I have made them into 4-patch before the sashing. Here I am trying out the dark pink plain – it’s not as red as the photo shows –
then tried them out on this pink –
and decided this one was softer and prettier, the dark pink was a bit too overpowering for the pastel blocks.
Tomorrow, I finish sewing and add the top to the pile I hope I have ready for quilting – a quilting friend with a longarm has kindly offered to do the quilting for us.
There are a lot of very generous people about when it comes to helping with disaster relief programmes.
My thanks to you all for helping and caring.