I probably mentioned this a few months ago that I will be having a stall again this year at the Tas Craft Fair in Deloraine.
On the weekend I received the notice that I have the same space as last year, #775 Furmage Pavilion, at the Showgrounds, just inside the door as you get off the bus. I found this to be a good spot for me, and I am working on a ‘stunning’ quilt to hang so it draws the visitors my way immediately! My ‘Fireworks’ quilt last year did just that. It’s been hard to come up with something new that will have the same impact.
Dates for this year’s show are Friday to Monday 1-4 November, open times 9am to 5pm, except Monday closes at 4pm.
The other piece of exciting news I have is that I have been invited to join lime design of Salamanca, one of the galleries in Salamanca Place in Hobart, to sell my silk scarves. It is a collective and to be a member I will be working there for a day every couple of weeks or so. I’ll tell you more as it happens, soon.
Before this happened I was busy dyeing lots of scarves to take to Deloraine, and now a lot of those scarves have been set aside for lime design, and I need to start again for Deloraine. It’s a little over 6 weeks to go, so I will be a bit busy – that should read very busy !
Here are a few pictures of what has been happening in my studio lately.
I wanted to use Procion dyes because I like the bright colours I get, but with such a lot of scarves to dye in a short time, I decided to try the method of using procion as acid dyes and the microwave. Instead of pre-soaking in soda ash, they were soaked in vinegar for the same time – a half hour or so – until the fibres were well saturated. Then I mixed the dye powder into solution with salt water instead of plain water.
Each scarf was in its own small container, pour the dye solution over, squish the way I wanted, maybe add another colour, lid on, then into the microwave for a couple of minutes, until any liquid in the bowl was clear.
I had quite a production line going, I was faster at preparing each scarf than the microwave was in its cooking time. So each scarf had unintentional extra time to take up the dye which was very good for the resulting colour – it did mean that I had to add some more water before putting in the microwave so the silk wouldn’t get too hot and scorch or dry out and become brittle – I know from some past experiences on that one. 😦 And this method also means less dye wastage in the rinsing out later, clear rinsing water in the second tub.
Anyway, here is what they looked like later –
All lovely bright fresh colours for spring.
And it is a lovely sunny day today, could be warm by lunch time. 🙂 🙂