New studio – in for the weekend and out again on Monday

The Channel Art Trail with it’s exhibitions and open studios happened over this last weekend.  Although my studio is still in a state of “not quite finished”, the builders were very good and vacated for a couple of days so that we could set up our displays.  The weather had been pretty awful in the days leading up, and there was mud everywhere, as is commonly the case on building sites.

To enable access to the front door, as the deck has not been built on yet, a temporary catwalk was constructed from old pallets and sheets of flooring, with a door mat either end, it worked very well.  The photos can tell you the story.

Pondering the next step

Pondering the next step

Add a few more pallets and another plank

Add a few more pallets and another plank

A little later and nearly to hard ground

A little later and nearly to hard ground

And on Saturday the sun came out 🙂

Early morning outside after the clean up

Early morning outside after the clean up

Meanwhile inside a lot had been happening.  First the ‘soft’ design wall had to be constructed – a layer of cotton quilt batting glued directly to the styrene wall, and several lengths of heavy curtain lining called bumf (spelling?) which is like a very fine woven but thick flannelette fabric sewn together and stretched down the length of the wall, 7.5m down one wall and 3m on the shorter wall.  We tested the strength with a heavy bed quilt pinned with only 3 pins in the top – wonderful, even without the pins it stuck to the wall! Then we covered it over with black plastic so that no plaster or paint would splash on to it.

Here’s some more pictures.

Styrene wall ready for covering

Styrene wall ready for covering

First layer is cotton quilt batting

First layer is cotton quilt batting

 

Multi-skilled builder handy with the iron

Multi-skilled builder handy with the iron

Ready for the top layer of bumf

Ready for the top layer of bumf (or bumph ?)

Top layer before final stretching and stapling

Top layer before final stretching and stapling

And we only used 2 cans of glue

And we only used 2 cans of glue

Test strength with heavy quilt - only needed 3 pins at the top

Test strength with heavy quilt – only needed 3 pins at the top

Design wall covered with plastic for the plasterers

Design wall covered with plastic for the plasterers

Cleaning plaster scraps from floor

Cleaning plaster scraps from floor

Happy to watch this paint dry

Happy to watch this paint dry

Looks so lovely and clean

Looks so lovely and clean

A large empty space full of potential ready and waiting –

First load of boxes arrive

First load of boxes arrive

This is outside

This is outside

One end for Jen

And inside – one end for Jen

And the other end for me

And the other end for me

Plenty of room for displays

Plenty of room for displays

More of Jen's work

More of my work

Demonstration tables

Demonstration tables

Entrance catwalk

Entrance catwalk

Directional bunting

Directional bunting

The view outdoors

The view outdoors

 

Some of my collections

Some of my collections of quirky teapots and old irons – tiny ones are for lace

And lastly, what it looked like after the removalists arrived – we had to empty the space for the builders to come back at 7am on Monday to get on with the plastering

Removalists moved in

Removalists moved in

Next morning the plasterers were back at it

Next morning the plasterers were back at it

Thank you for reading this far, it has been a very long post, there was a lot I wanted to tell you about.

Keep smiling 🙂

 

Advertisements

2 responses to “New studio – in for the weekend and out again on Monday

  1. colin hinrichsen

    CONGRATULATIONS to you and your trusty group of helpers. What an achievement!!!!!!!!!!!!

    D.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Thanks Dorotea, it took two days to get over the exhaustion, I am alert and functioning today. 🙂

    Like