Remember this quilt from a year or more ago?
Which I cut the photo into strips and played around with it – read about it in this blog from January 2013 .
Well, a couple of weeks ago I looked at it again, quilting finished (and no photos of that :-( ), but there was too much colour in it, tunnels are dark and mysterious, not bright and colourful as this.
After auditioning various organza and tulle overlays, I decided that painting might be the answer. Out came the paints – bother, no transparent black only very thick opaque which wouldn’t do at all. Light bulb moment – Indian Ink :-) After trialling various glitter/pearl type paints, I found this watercolour medium in the local art supply store.
One and a half bottles of ink later, diluted at 3:1 with a few drops of the iridescent medium added to each mix of ink, and painting it twice to get the depth of darkness I wanted, I added some pearl splashes to the area of the tunnel floor.
Those bright pinks and blues are more subtle browns now. There is quite a lot of “water sparkle” on the fabric which isn’t showing in the photo, but very visible in sunlight.
Now to finish off – do I bind it in the same fabric as the bars, or do I make a facing on the back? I don’t think this is a quilt to use the overlocker on.
Pinned on the wall now, so I can walk past it and think about it for a week or so.
STUDIO UPDATE -
The studio is still waiting to be finished and occupied. The plumber was expected 2 Monday’s ago, hopefully it will be third time lucky – next Monday. We can’t “occupy” until the building inspector says so, and the plumbing has to be done before that, even though it is an extension of an already existing occupied dwelling!
The fan lights for the ceiling have arrived, and when they have been installed (electrician needs to use the scaffolds to get up to the peak), we can go ahead with ordering the floor coverings.
Keep smiling – I’m trying to :-)